By Divya Bhati: The deadline to file the Income Tax Return (ITR) for FY 2022-23 is today, i.e July 31, 2023. Taxpayers are mandated to file their ITR before the deadline to avoid fines and other inconveniences. Meanwhile, taxpayers who have already filed their returns can track their refund status online. To assist users in tracking the status of their refunds, the Income Tax Department has a dedicated section on its online platform to check the ITR refund status.
The government body notes that once the taxpayers complete their ITR and e-verification, they will receive the refund (if eligible) in their bank account. To check the status, all a user needs is the PAN number and the Assessment Year. Here is a step-by-step guide to check the ITR refund status online through the Income Tax Department’s online tracking facility.
How to check ITR refund status
- Visit the official website of Income Tax Department- incometax.gov.in/iec/foportal/
- Look for and click on the Income Tax Return (ITR) Status link in the Quick Links section of the website.
- Click on the “Check Refund Status” option. You will be redirected to a new page.
- On the new page, enter your Permanent Account Number (PAN) and select the Assessment Year (AY) for which you filed your ITR. Both of these details can be found on your income tax return acknowledgment receipt.
- Enter the Captcha code displayed on the screen for verification purposes.
- Finally, click on the “Submit” or “Check Status” button to view the status of your ITR refund.
The Income Tax Department will issue the refund either by directly crediting it to your designated bank account or by issuing a ‘Refund Cheque’. If you have opted to receive the refund in your bank account, ensure that you provide the correct bank account number and IFSC code along with comprehensive address details, including the PIN code.
Notably, it is advisable to check your Income Tax Return (ITR) refund status a few days after filing your taxes. Typically, the refund process can take anywhere between 7 to 120 days to be credited to your account after the e-verification of your return. However, the process can be faster, with refunds being returned as quickly as within 2 days of e-verification.
To ensure that you receive your refund in a timely manner, make sure to e-verify your ITR promptly after filing. Keep in mind that the exact duration for the refund to be credited may vary based on various factors, such as the complexity of your return and the processing load at the tax department. Moreover, ensure that your contact and bank account details are accurate and up to date so that there are no issues with the IT return.